In a previous post, we explained how utilizing Apple Pay on your iPhone, Apple Watch, or other Apple products can offer a more secure approach to credit card payments. Since that original post, we received multiple questions from clients requesting more information.
Just to recap, Apple Pay is a contactless payment technology designed specifically for Apple devices that allows you to securely make purchases in store, online, and through their iOS apps without exchanging credit card information. To make a purchase, you simply need to verify your identity using your passcode, Touch ID, or Face ID feature on your device – we prefer you use a biometric verification, since it is harder to clone. Next, hold your phone directly over the point of sales terminal to process the payment.
For each purchase, a unique token code is created, so the store never actually obtains your card number. This protects you from potential breaches on credit card data. Also, Apple doesn’t store your credit card number on your device or on its servers.
So, how do you set it up?
To get started, set up Apple Pay on your iPhone first, since it is usually with you the majority of the time.
- Search for the “Wallet” app and open it on your iPhone.
- Click on the “+” button in the top right corner. This is how you will add credit cards to your Apple Pay account.
- Select the type of card you want to add to Apple Pay.
- Follow the steps to add a new card. Either scan the front of your card with the iPhone’s camera, or enter the card details. Then click “Next.”
- Enter your card’s expiration date and security code, then click “Next.”
- Read/Agree to the terms and conditions.
- Choose a verification method (email, text, or call) and enter the code when prompted.
- Once your card is verified by your bank, or card issuer, click “Next” to start using Apple Pay.
Will using Apple Pay cost you in credit card rewards?
In short, the answer is no. It makes no difference whether you swipe or insert your card, or hold your phone over the point of sales terminal. In almost all cases you will still receive the cash back, miles, or points that are offered by your card. If for any reason you have any issues receiving your rewards, you can contact your servicer and they will resolve the issue.
In some cases, you may actually receive more incentives for using a digital wallet, such as Apple Pay.
Can I add store gift cards to my Apple Wallet?
It depends. The “Wallet” app supports certain gift cards. Some companies may require you to redeem your card using their app, before you can add it to the Wallet.
In you need assistance setting up Apple Pay, or have any additional questions, feel free to contact us!
PLEASE SEE IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE INFORMATION HERE.
Sister Emily Bloom May 02 2021